Friday, July 1, 2011

ARE YOU REALLY FREE?

With the 4th of July  quickly approaching, there have been articles all over the place discussing Independence Day, the meaning, family traditions and all type of things. After reading a few I began to wonder... Am I Really Free??

So for you guys to follow my train of thought we will have a brief history lesson courtesy of  Wikipedia (because if Wikipedia said it, it has to be true! lol) :  

"During the American Revolution, the legal separation of the Thirteen Colonies from Great Britain occurred on July 2, 1776, when the Second Continental Congress voted to approve a resolution of independence that had been proposed in June by Richard Henry Lee of Virginia.[4][5] After voting for independence, Congress turned its attention to the Declaration of Independence, a statement explaining this decision, which had been prepared by a Committee of Five, with Thomas Jefferson as its principal author. Congress debated and revised the Declaration, finally approving it on July 4."

So, technically the colonies were free from Britain's control on July 2nd, but didn't deem it as official until they completed the DECLARATION of INDEPENDENCE on July 4th!! 

Wow!!! That makes me wonder...are there some things in my life that I am free from, but not able to walk in liberty because I haven't said it is so!! Are there things in your life that your have been granted freedom/ independence from, but haven't been able to bask in that freedom because you don't believe it is so?  

The first thing that popped into my mind was my self esteem concerning my physical attributes. Fact is, when I made the Big Chop I cut away my hair and so much baggage. My BC made an outward expression of what I felt was transpiring inside! You know, the mental shift that occurs when you finally see your self as the amazing creature that God created. But did that make me FREE?

For me, Aug 17 (the day I BC)  is when I made a legal separation, but do I really have an Independence Day? Of course I see myself differently and embrace all that is natural hair, the mindset, the lifestyle, but when did I really DECLARE my freedom from a wack self esteem and feelings of inadequacy? Did I make an outward expression of what I would have hoped was an inward change  with no results?? 

I have come in contact with many sisters, who are struggling and are considering returning to relaxer or have because they made an outward change ( BC or transitioned) with no inward changes, and especially no DECLARATION!! 
For the colonist, although the vote was cast, the decision was made, a legal separation was complete, they felt the need to DECLARE their INDEPENDENCE.  But Y? 

When you DECLARE something, you are making it obvious, apparent, and evident!!!  So it wasn't enough for the colonist to just receive their independence  they wanted it to be known and so should we. (This is not to negate the amazing gift of freedom that God has given us, but even that you have to DECLARE to receive.)
But what about the freedom that we receive when we decide to walk away from what our society defines as beautiful or good hair. What about the freedom we receive when we decide to dismiss our own hangups and distorted feelings we have towards ourselves. As women, no matter the race or hair type we all struggle with some kind of self esteem or image issue.
 
So ARE YOU REALLY FREE?  If not, today is your independence day. Today you can DECLARE you are free from what society says is beautiful, because the reality is you're a BAD MOTHER... Shut My mouth.(LOL)  

A DECLARATION isn't about others knowing you are FREE, IT'S ALL ABOUT YOU!!! Its an official start of a new life, a new day!!  The Colonist knew they were legally separated and were free, but DECLARED it for themselves as a sign of strength, power and authority. 

Today is an opportunity to DECLARE your freedom from whatever it is that you have separated from, but haven't had the joy of basking in the Independence.  So yeah you BC or Transitioned an outward change my friend isnt enough. You did the hard part endured all the comments and questions, but ARE YOU REALLY FREE? 

I am !! Because I DECLARED IT!!!! You should too!!!

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!! Remember living unConsciously is not sexy!! 
StephnikkiBB

3 comments:

  1. I love love love this article. I constantly find myself explaining whether I feel liberated or not. Since doing my BC in Sept 2009, I have made some well needed transitions in life. I also let the needed baggage go along with my dead ends. To answer your question... Yes, I am free. Free of shame, doubt & insecurities...Love Peace & Nappiness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes ma'am bc my mind is free...it's some ppl that are physically locked up, but are more free than the man or woman out here in the "free world" bc their minds are free! A fre...e mind can take you a long way bc you're not placing limits on your thinking & when one is able to freely think, they are able to dream & plan bigger, which in turn oftentimes translates into acting on bigger thoughts which produce bigger results...so Am I Really Free??? YES I AM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. EXCELLENT, FANTASTIC, ASTOUNDING BLOG STEPH!!!

    ReplyDelete