Thursday, February 24, 2011

THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE..

Each Thursday I will take a moment to share a truth with you all. The topics will always vary. The truths will be my own personal truths; truths in society or any other topic I want to put on blast! So here it is…
HAVING NATURAL HAIR IS HARD WORK!
I think we (myself included) as naturals are so excited about our own hair journey, that we leave out some very important details when encouraging others. We forget to share the trials because the benefits are so great. So here I am shooting from the hip! POW POW

As my mom always tells me, “anything worth having requires hard work,” and natural hair is no different. To really achieve healthy natural hair that you enjoy it requires TIME! The time you spend in the beginning, figuring out what works for your hair is not time lost, but time invested. Your healthy crown will thank you with great length and banging style in the long run.

So I can already hear some of you... ugh, she’s so negative! Nope!  It’s my truth!!!
So this is my opportunity to share with you the real deal about being natural, which I adore!
GO TEAM NATURAL!! FIST PUMP

That brings me to the most important lesson I’ve learned since my BC (August 2009).
PATIENCE GRASSHOPPER!!!!! Beautiful healthy natural hair will come!  But honestly it will take WORK. The more time you spend managing your natural hair, the more you will become aware of what it likes. Believe me when your hair doesn’t like something you will know it. Listen to it, be in tune with it, and get to know it… See being CONSCIOUS affects everything!! (Sorry I couldn’t help it.)

Honestly, I do owe a great deal of my hair success (cause I have definitely had my days crying in the bathroom floor because I couldn’t de-tangle my hair) to the fabulous ladies of youtube, CurlyNikki, and other blogs (I will be providing links to my favs soon). Their willingness to share their success and failures really eliminated some undo stress for me and my hair. They helped me weed out bad products and also pointed me in the direction of products that work. The reality is EVERYTHING DOESN’T WORK FOR EVERYONE!  So where the ladies advice and expertise stops you have to take over.

So get connected… If you are considering going natural, newly natural or an Old Head... there are tons of great resources available. Do your research! Going into anything this important blindly is crazy. People perish because of a lack of knowledge.

But all that said, Deciding to “Go Natural” has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. Not only did it kick my swag up to a ten, but the mental shift is worth it alone. The ability to truly embrace myself as my creator made me is overwhelming and is a feeling that never gets old. It helped me walk into a new level of consciousness; actually it is what brought on my awakening! So, Yes Being Natural  is Hard  Work, but so Worth It!  AREN'T YOU  DO FOR AN AWAKENING???  

unCONSCIOUS living is not sexy!   
Enjoy Living CONSCIOUSLY,
StephNikkiBB

2 comments:

  1. I must say I am guilty here! I definitely told you like everyday in class to go natural but I actually had no idea how much work is involved until recently! I have soon discovered I actually know WAY less than I probably should after 5 whole years of being natural. It is A LOT of work but yes so worth it! I LOVE BEING NATURAL! ~Kiara

    ReplyDelete
  2. As we both know, I have had my share of headaches when it comes to "Sassy"(my hair), We have an ongoing love/hate relationship....The most important thing Ive learn since being natural is "Patience", lawd knows, I don't have any...So within this natural journey, Ive been forced to endure some...but its all been worth it...
    Love, Peace and Nappiness :)

    ReplyDelete