Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Who's your SHE - RO???

Hey all! I hope your weeks are off to a great start! As Black History Month ends and Women's History Month begins I thought it would be appropriate to reflect on the those who have come before us... those trailblazers whose shoulders we now stand on!!!

So who stands out to you? Is there a hero in your life.. African American??? Woman??? Is there someone whose story mirrors the person you aspire to be?  I definitely have a few of those! I think about women on a global scale, women on a national scale, but definitely cant forget the women who have poured into my life right here at home.Of course there are the familiar heroines..

Sojourner Truth, Mother Teresa, Mary McLeod Bethune, Eleanor Roosevelt, Margaret Mead... Ladies making headlines today like Michelle Obama, Condeliza Rice, Nancy Pelosi, Hillary Clinton, Joyce Roche, Malaak Compton Rock, Oprah, Rossiyskaya Gazeta.... just to name a few (I'm sure I missed some amazing women).

My personal SHE-ROES are of course the women of my family...  I know I am the fruit of their labor and don't take it lightly... But then there are heroines like Daisy Bates, Shirley Chisholm, Angela Davis, Susan B Anthony, Toni Morrison, and Maya Angelou whose journeys inspire me to my inner most core. They show me what success and persistence can do. They show me that I can change the world ... by deciding to be conscious and not comfortable living without feeling!!! Each of these women's stood out from the crowd in their perspective avenues and made a lasting impression! The world is now a better place because they were here.

  SO WHO IS YOUR SHE-RO??? Share... maybe she can inspire us too!

unCONSCIOUS living is not sexy!

No comments:

Post a Comment